The beautiful country of Canada has experienced an unprecedented rise in the number of Canadian soccer teams.
The establishment of these football teams has raised some eyebrows on how exactly the love for soccer from Canadians came to be and what the reasons behind it are. Today, we will be discussing Canada soccer teams and who their major sponsors are.
Canada Soccer Clubs on the Rise
The rise of soccer among Canadians took everyone by surprise. However, it is not that unexpected because its neighbor, the USA, has a good and functioning league (The MLS) where a Canadian team has played before. Around five years ago, ice hockey was once regarded as the most followed sport in Canada, but now, things are beginning to change due to several factors.
In 2007, Canada hosted the FIFA under 20 world cups where an impressive 1.5 million record attendance was made. This is regarded by many as the turning point of soccer in the country. The same year FC Toronto was the first Canadian team to play in the American MLS.
They were later joined by Vancouver and Montreal impact in 2011 and 2012 respectively. With these good results, the Canadian league was established in 2017 to alter for any interested soccer team In Canada. In 2019, six new teams joined the league, they were York9 FC, Valour FC, HFX wanderers, Calvary FC, Pacific FC, and FC Edmonton.
A recent survey done in Quebec opined that 50% of Canadian youths are in one soccer cadre or another. Recently in 2020, a new team Atletico Ottawa joined the league.
New Canadian Soccer Teams are being Founded
As the expected development in Canadian soccer takes the world by the storm, various new soccer teams are been founded in Canada, the latest being Atletico Ottawa. There are several reasons for this development. Some of them are:
- To meet demand in the cities: More Canadian teams are being established to meet the ever-increasing demands for football events in the cities.
- Create job opportunities: The rise of new football teams is also done to provide succor to the Canadian youths who see soccer as a job.
- Marketing purposes: Soccer worldwide is an avenue to market your country to the world. New soccer teams attract investments and brands to the country who may wish to sponsor them.
- International presence: New soccer teams means more international spotlight is beamed on the cities with this team.
With all these newly founded clubs, one may wonder where they are getting their sponsoring from.
Major Sponsors for Canadian Soccer Teams
The growth of soccer in Canada has attracted a plethora of big and wealthy sponsors. These sponsors see football has an avenue in advertising their services. Top sponsors of Canadian soccer teams include:
- Vehicle manufacturers: Several top vehicle makers are sponsoring some top-Canadian teams to promote their brand to the public.
- Localized restaurant chains: There are many local restaurants franchises that are sponsoring teams in the Canada league. These restaurants noticed that this sport has become popular and is keying into this huge market.
- Canadian online casino comparison sites: Canada has a variety of online casino comparison websites. These comparison sites provide ample services to Canadian players who wish to win by betting.
The steady but noticeable development of soccer in Canada, particularly the introduction of new soccer clubs is admirable. These Canadian soccer teams are sponsored by various top business operators in order to market their brands.